Curbside Recycling Pilot Program for Las Cruces
Sponsor: Jeff Stienborn, CURB Coalition
Las Cruces, which has lagged behind other New Mexico cities in its recycling efforts, has decided to try a second six-month curbside recycling pilot program, as a way of deciding whether to initiate curbside recycling citywide. It is important that this pilot program be a success.
What we are asking
In the previous pilot program, pickup occurred only once a month, plastic and other items were excluded, and residents received very little education about how the system worked. Therefore, we are going to contact city council members and emphasize the following:
Curbside recycling is good for Las Cruces:
- in the long run there will be less use of fossil fuels and non-renewable resources
- the burden on community landfills will be lessened
- residents get to join in a project that is cooperative and larger than ourselves, thus contributing to a sense of community
The Las Cruces curbside recycling pilot program should
- involve weekly pickups
- pick up everything currently recycled by the City of Las Cruces , Including plastics
- include continuing education, so that citizens understand the importance of the program, and know the specifics of how to use it
People to be contacted
In this action, we will contact our mayor and city councillor by phone, email, or regular mail to 1) register our support for recycling in Las Cruces , and 2) emphasize the above points about the pilot program. The contact information is:
You can find out your district by looking at your voting card or by calling 647-7428.
Letters can be sent to any of the above at PO Box 2000, Las Cruces, NM 88004. A phone call to the above numbers will eventually lead to the councillor’s or mayor’s voicemail, where you can leave a message. By cutting and pasting, an email can be sent to each of the above; it’s better to send each message individually rather than as part of a group mailing.